With the winter season of the Super Geek Film Festival upon us, we here at the Supercon clubhouse thought it might be helpful to provide you with our early predictions for the top ten events, films and panels you should definitely add to your schedule!
10. TELEIOS: In the not-so-distant future, five genetically engineered “humans” are sent on a rescue mission to Saturn’s largest moon, Titan. The mission falls into peril when they discover that the vacuum of space isn’t the only thing that can imperil their mission!
TELEIOS premieres Friday night at 8:15PM in room 124, with an additional screenings on Saturday at 11:00AM in room 125.
9. Long Live the King: If you love your monster movies like we do, then this is a film you won’t want to miss! LONG LIVE THE KING is a documentary chronicling the enduring popularity of Edgar Wallace and Merian C. Cooper’s Eighth Wonder of the World. Through interviews, stock and archival footage this film seeks to encapsulate what has inspired so many artists, writers and filmmakers since his birth in 1933.
LONG LIVE THE KING premieres Friday, December 9 at 2:30PM in room 125 as part of the Geeked Out Documentaries program with other great selections such as THE BROTHERS CHAPS, WHY I’M NOT ON POKEMON GO, and EASY, BREEZY, BEAUTIFUL COSPLAY. Additional screening on Saturday, December 10 in room 124.
8. The Psyche of Batman: From the filmmakers who brought you BATMAN: PATIENT ZERO comes this thoughtful and entertaining panel about just what makes the Dark Knight tick. Dissecting the lore, this panel hopes to entertain and explain what goes into making a fan film about one of comic’s most tragic (and tragically flawed) heroes.
THE PSYCHE OF BATMAN will take place in room 125 from 5:30PM to 6:00PM. BATMAN: PATIENT ZERO plays as part of the DC FAN FILM program which premieres on Friday, December 9 at 6:00PM with an additional screening on Saturday night at 1:00AM. Other films in this program include COMMITTED and SUPER SPEED DATES.
7. A Promise of Time Travel: If you’ve never thought about conspiring with an estranged childhood friend in order to steal a time machine, then you definately have to check this one out. We don’t want to ruin this gem by giving away too many of the details, but you might be happy to know that we have some of the filmmakers in attendance to do a brief Q&A after the film as well as a panel on Sunday talking about the craft of making an indie film!
A PROMISE OF TIME TRAVEL premieres on Saturday, December 10 at 12:45PM in room 125 and you can check out their panel, TIME+CREATIVITY-MONEY: MAKING AN ULTRA LOW BUDGET FILM, on Sunday in room 124 from 2:00PM to 3:00PM.
6. ANIMATED SHORTS!: We are very excited to share some of the best in traditional, CG, stop-motion and mixed media at this year’s festival! Theses films are so great we tried to include as many as possible in two different, but equally entertaining programs!
TRADITIONAL & STOP MOTION animated shorts plays all three days, premiering on Friday, December 9 at 1PM in room 124, then playing again Saturday at 5:15PM in room 125 and Sunday at 5:30PM in room 124. CGI & MIXED MEDIA animated films will also be playing all three days. Premiering on Friday, December 9 at 2PM in room 124, additional screenings will be held on Saturday at 6:15PM in room 125 and on Sunday at 6:30PM also in room 125.
5. The Wild World of Luchador Action Movies with Guy Hutchinson: In this wildly entertaining panel, author, host, and historian of awesome, Guy Hutchinson discusses one of his favorite things on the planet: LUCHADOR ACTION MOVIES! Although there isn’t much in the way of dialogue to dissect, the history is rich and the action non-stop in this trip through the wild world of Luchador movies and the wrestling that inspired it.
THE WILD WORLD OF LUCHADOR ACTION MOVIES panel takes place in room 124 Saturday, December 10th at 11:00AM and is followed directly by a special screening of CHAMPIONS OF JUSTICE (LOS CAMPEONES JUSTICIEROS). This one not to miss!
4. Danger, Dames & Dangerous Games: After his Vampire boss snacks on a few employees, a hapless accountant learns that monsters are real, hungry, and of course, looking for him! This fun tale of an unlikely world savior blends film noir, action and comedy in a uniquely entertaining experience that has to be seen!
DANGER, DAMES & DANGEROUS GAMES premieres Friday night, December 9 at 7:30PM in room 125 and will be followed immediately by a brief Q&A with some of the cast and crew! Additional screenings will be held on Saturday at 1:30PM in room 124 and Sunday in room 125 at 11:00AM.
3. International Sci-Fi Shorts: Some people like their science fiction with subtitles and we couldn’t agree more! We have four fantastic (seriously, these are amazing) short films in this program and you might just regret missing this one! From Switzerland, HUMAN PROTOCOL is a gorgeous sci-fi tale about a Shawn, who wakes up in a strange clinic and no memory of how he got there. From Germany, KEYMOMENT is a tightrope walk between what’s real and what’s not when a young physics student finds herself in an interrogation room and accusations of time travel start getting thrown around. If you are a fan of Japanese manga, then this is one film you don’t want to miss; RETURN OF MIZUNO tells the tale of a psychic government assassin who must track down and stop Mizuno, the powerful psychic responsible for the deaths of many of the people she loves and cares about. And from Israel, Second Life is a story that looks into a future made possible only by humanity abandoning their physical forms and embracing a virtual one…but who’s job is it to upload these consciousnesses?
INTERNATIONAL SCI-FI SHORTS premieres on Friday, December 9 at 9:30 in room 125. An additional screening will take place on Saturday in room 125 at 8:45PM.
2. Cosmética Terror: This raucous (often raunchy) comedy follows Catalina, a body conscious makeup artist in a funeral home, whose biggest dream is to be an actress on her favorite soap opera: Cosmética Terror. Her life changes wildly when she is visited by her fairy godmother and is granted her wish with a few…well…let’s call them superpowered conditions.
COSMETICA TERROR has only one showing on Saturday night, December 10 at 10:45PM in room 125.
1. Lloyd Kaufman Workshop: MAKE YOUR OWN DAMN MOVIE! This masterclass is a rare treat! Director, producer, screenwriter and occasional actor Lloyd Kaufman brings Paradise City his vast years or knowledge and experience in a 90 how-to describing much of what it takes to make your own damn movie. Lloyd looks to help guide new and experienced filmmakers through the process of breathing life into their own original stories on little or no budget at all.
And there you have it! The Super Geek Film Festival takes place at Paradise City Comic Con this December 9, 10 and 11 at the Greater Fort Lauderdale Convention Center.